Including Students Who Are Blind / Vision Impaired in Maths
Maths Inclusion Workshop for Supporting Students with Vision Impairment
Friday 29 June 2018, 9am-12 noon
Statewide Vision Resource Centre
Intended audience: Visiting Teachers (Vision Impairment) & Integration Staff
Presenter: Charlie Roberts
Come join in a morning of Marvellous Mathematics.
Focus: Supporting the student and Maths teacher, using solid materials & consistent terminology to reinforce Mathematical concepts.
- Maths Kit: useful equipment to have for Maths Students with VI.
- Inclusive strategies for Primary & Secondary Maths
- Braille code: recommended set out, overwriting & cheat sheets.
- Maths print resources for staff
- Participants invited to share useful tips
We will then work through some of the topics below, from most to least requested.
- Tactile graphics & models demonstration
- Tactile Drawing Kit (embossing film)
- Spur wheel diagrams (paper)
- Pinboard graphing techniques (tactile graph paper)
- Bar graph using the Perkins Brailler
- Use of the Braille ruler and protractor
- Scanning tactile shape diagrams & and using solid shapes to reinforce 3D diagrams.
- Addition and subtraction (to 99) on your fingers
- Cranmer Abacus
- Calculator options
- Braille Maths vertical arithmetic set out (Child’s Ply frame)
- Excellence in teaching and learning
- Positive climate for learning
- Professional leadership
- Know students and how they learn
- Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Registration is essential– please register below.
There will be no charge for this activity.
Morning tea will be provided.