Supporting Students with Vision Impairment in Mathematics Classes
A workshop for Mathematics Teachers & Education Support staff
Presenter: Charlie Roberts
Wed 3rdApril 2019, Statewide Vision Resource Centre, 9.30am-1.00pm.
Optional Braille Mathematics code introduction, 1.00-1.30pm
- Introduction to vision impairment (VI)
- Challenges facing student with VI in Maths
- Role of the Teacher, Visiting Teacher, Integration Aide & student with VI in Mathematics classes
- Inclusive strategies for Primary & Secondary Maths support
- Technology funding for the student
- Maths Kit demonstration: student aides for accessing the curriculum
- Alternate formats: Large Print, Electronic (LP & Audio) & Braille; materials, revision, cheat sheets & tests
- Calculators: large print, talking, graphing & CAS options
- Producing accessible electronic worksheets.
- Tactile & auditory graphs
- Producing hard copy braille, electronic braille & accessible worksheets that can be brailled.
- Braille code: set out, overwriting, correcting.