Professional Learning Opportunities
A variety of professional learning opportunities are available for individuals wishing to develop their skills related to the education of students with vision impairments.
Our Professional Learning Program
We provide a high-quality professional learning program to support teachers and allied professionals, including events held at our Donvale facility and sessions provided online.
Our professional learning events are open to visiting teachers, classroom teachers, education support staff, family members, students, associated professionals and members of the wider community. Each event provides opportunities to learn about the educational implications of blindness and low vision, including evidence-based teaching and support strategies.
Inclusive Classrooms training
The Department of Education and Training’s Inclusive Classrooms training supports schools to build their capability to implement inclusive practice. Each of the Inclusive Classrooms courses, including one focused on supporting students with vision needs, can be undertaken by Victorian government school staff.
The Inclusive Classrooms courses focus on the understanding, assessment and classroom support of students with diverse learning needs. Each course is focused around a specific disability, with the learning undertaken through an interactive and practical blended experience.
Find out more information about Inclusive Classrooms.
- Supporting Students with Vision Impairment
- Supporting Students with Autism
- Supporting Students with Learning Difficulties including Dyslexia
- Supporting Students with Oral Language and Learning
- Supporting Students with Hearing Loss
- Human Rights Approach to Diversity and Inclusion (fully online e-learning module)
We offer hands-on Skill Power workshops (both face-to-face and online) for those who would like to learn more about technology, particularly specialist technology for students with vision impairments. The workshops are conducted by our staff and/or by staff of partner organisations who are specialists in a particular item of technology or other area of the Expanded Core Curriculum.
If you are interested in requesting a workshop regarding a specific piece of technology, please contact us.
Scholarships Available for Teachers
The Department of Education and Training is providing full-fee scholarships for teachers to undertake VIT-endorsed postgraduate studies in inclusive education, which can be focused on vision impairment. Scholarships are available for teachers who are currently employed in a Victorian government school or working for the Victorian Department of Education and Training in a student facing role.
There are full-fee scholarships available to undertake one of the following courses:
- Macquarie University/Renwick Centre – Master of Disability Studies (including the opportunity to specialise in Vision Impairment)
- Deakin University – Master of Specialist Inclusive Education
- Monash University – Master of Education (Inclusive and Special Education)
- Monash University – Master of Education (Applied Behaviour Analysis)
- University of Melbourne – Master of Learning Intervention (Stream A)
- University of Newcastle – Master of Special and Inclusive Education
- La Trobe University – Master of Special Education
- Australian Catholic University – Master of Education (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
For more information about these scholarships and how to apply, please visit Scholarships for current teachers and new graduates.