We offer an exciting range of activities which promote the learning of essential specific skills for students with vision impairments, commonly known as the Expanded Core Curriculum.
Our educational programs are available to eligible students in government and non-government educational settings from preschool to Year 10. Our programs provide students with opportunities to:
- build strong peer group networks with other students with vision impairments
- participate in recreational and educational experiences that may not be available at their local school
- better understand their vision impairment and effective strategies to access and be included in school-based learning
- develop social and communication skills to manage the varying demands at school
- receive specialised instruction and personalised support from experts in the use of assistive technologies
- try something new, explore leadership roles, rise to challenges and have fun!
We run two regular student programs from our centre in Donvale.
Our Support Skills Program is a specialised educational program for groups of students in Years 4 to Year 10 who are blind or have low vision. Students are offered four to eight days per year of timetabled individualised or small-group instruction focused around the Expanded Core Curriculum.
Dot Power is offered to braille-reading students from preschool to Grade 3. The program focuses on braille literacy (reading and writing), tactile graphicacy (using the sense of touch to interpret tactual diagrams) and concept development.
Every year we organise a number of excursions and activities for students and their families. We also support and promote activities suitable for students with vision impairments that are run by other groups.
Excursions and activities are a great opportunity for students to meet others and to try something different, whilst being supported by staff with specialist skills in vision impairment. Over the years, we have held a range of themed days relating to literacy, technology, the arts and sport. We have also conducted or supported a number of camps, including a biennial group of students who attend Space Camp in Huntsville Alabama (USA).
Keep informed about other upcoming events and opportunities by subscribing to The Bulletin.